A Degree Audit (sometimes referred to as simply “audit”) is a tool that helps you and your navigator understand the overall requirements for your active Program of Study and track your progress towards completing those requirements. Your Degree Audit is also used by the Registrar’s office to determine graduation eligibility.

On this page you will find answers to frequently asked questions as well as links to resources to help you use and understand your degree audit!

Where can I get help with my degree audit?

You can find help navigating and understanding your degree audit here: Degree Audit Help Guides

If you need additional assistance, please contact your navigator!

When should I run a degree audit?

You can run a degree audit at any time, but the information displayed on your audit is current only up to the time/date notated on the audit. You should always run a new audit whenever something has changed on your academic progress; some examples include:

• If you have made any registration changes (dropping/withdrawing, registering for future semesters, etc.)
  • At the end of the semester when final grades have posted

Why do I need a degree audit?

Your audit helps you and your navigator monitor your progress towards graduation each semester. When it’s time to graduate, the Registrar’s office uses your degree audit to determine if you are eligible. You are required to complete all degree audit requirements before you can graduate. Checking your degree audit each semester ensures that you are taking the right classes for your program of study.

If I have a degree audit, do I need to meet with my navigator?

Your degree audit does not take the place of your navigator. You are strongly encouraged to meet with your navigator at least once a semester.

Navigators have the knowledge and tools to help you be as successful as possible! They can help connect you with campus and community resources. Your navigator is also your first point of contact for questions about your degree audit.

How is my degree audit used to determine graduation?

When you apply for graduation, the Registrar’s office will review your degree audit to determine eligibility. All Requirements on your degree audit must show a status of complete; before applying to graduate, all students are expected to view their degree audit and verify eligibility.

For help understanding your progress towards graduation, see our Understanding your Progress help guide.

If you think you should be eligible for graduation, but your degree audit indicates you have one or more Requirements showing a status of ‘Unfulfilled’, please contact your navigator.

Why are my timeline courses from myOTC not showing up on my audit

If you have added classes to your ‘Timeline’ in myOTC, the degree audit is unable to see those. In order for your audit to display the impact of potential registration using planned courses, you will need to use the Planner tool available from your degree audit.

How is a degree audit different from a degree plan?

In simple terms, a degree audit tells you the requirements for your Program of Study and your current progress towards completing those requirements while a degree plan establishes how you intend to complete your program of study requirements and in what time frame.

Why are some of my courses showing up in "Excess Courses"?

The Excess Courses area displays any courses on your academic record that are not actively meeting any program requirements. Institutional courses (courses taken at OTC) will, however, contribute to your Institutional GPA and Residency requirement.

If you feel a course displaying in Excess Courses should be meeting a course requirement, please contact your academic navigator or program director for assistance.

I'm interested in a different Program of Study, is there a way to see a degree audit for a different program?

Yes! You can choose the ‘Select a Different Program’ option from the Request an Audit screen to view a “What-If” audit.

What-if audits are not used to determine graduation eligibility, navigator assignments, or financial aid. If you do decide to change your Program of Study/Major), please visit  Change my Major.

I ran an audit a few days ago, why don't I see it in my 'Completed Audit Requests'?

Completed audits are deleted at the end of each day. If you do not see your previously generated audit, click the ‘Run Audit’ button to generate a new audit. Remember that previously generated audits will not reflect any changes made after the time/date they are generated.

My degree audit is incorrect, what should I do?

If you feel that there is an error with any of the following:

• Courses displaying incorrectly
  • Approved exceptions not displaying
  • Requirements not matching the catalog

Please contact your navigator.

What are Exceptions?

Exceptions at OTC are rare; they are modifications to the requirements stipulated in the Academic Catalog. These are applied in special circumstances with the approval of a department chair or dean. If you have additional questions about exceptions, please contact your navigator or department chair.

How is a degree audit different from a transcript?

A degree audit is an internal academic tool used to help you and your navigator monitor your overall degree requirements and progress towards completing those requirements. A transcript is an official document of your academic record that reflects courses completed by term. Your transcript is used by employers and other academic institutions to verify your academic record from OTC.

As of: 03/15/2020