Traveling Inside the US

You may travel freely within the U.S. at any time. We recommend, however, that you carry your I-20 or DS-2019 and passport with you when you travel. You may also wish to carry contact information for the International Programs and Services Office in case you experience any difficulties.

Traveling Outside the US

Whenever you plan to travel outside the United States, please follow these procedures:

  1. Check that your passport and visa are valid. If they are not, you will need to return to your home country to renew these documents before you may re-enter the United States. (Special circumstances apply if you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean and will be gone less than 30 days. Consult the International Student Advisor for more information on this condition.)
  2. Verify that the information on your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 is correct.
  3. Bring your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019* to the ISS office at least one week before your date of departure (two weeks prior to departure during busy travel times, such as the end of each semester and before Spring Break). *If you are a M-1 sponsored by another organization, you will need to obtain the travel authorization from the program officer at your sponsoring organization.
  4. While you are outside the United States, take great care not to loose any of your documents. You will need them to re-enter the United States.