International Students Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to become an international student at OTC?

All the information you need is on the international student services OTC website. If you provide us with your e-mail, we will send you that link. But FIRST, fill out the international student application. Note: this application differs from the standard OTC application.

For general information, visit the requirements page. For more specific admission information, read the International Admissions Requirements: fall 2016/spring 2017 handout. The handout is available at the IPO and Student Services desk.

How much does it cost to be an international student at OTC?

Cost information:

  • For the first year, you must pay tuition and fees must in advance: $7,420 for 30 credit hours.
  • Tuition and common fees are as follows: $198 per credit hour plus common fees, which include a $20 International Student Fee per credit hour, a $15 Student Fee per credit hour, a $7 Technology Fee per credit hour and a $3 Security Fee. Facilities and Infrastructure fees are $130 per year–$50 for fall, $50 for spring and $30 for summer.
  • The first year of medical insurance is mandatory, and international students must pay it in advance:
    • For students between 24 and under, the cost of insurance is $730 for 11 months.
  •  OTC only requires students already in the U.S. wishing to transfer to OTC to pay for one 12 credit hour semester up front, costing about $3,710.

What TOEFL score do you require for English language?

We require a TOEFL total score of 61. However:

  • We will also take an IELTS score of 5.0.
  • We will also admit transfer students who have successfully (2.25 GPA or higher) completed 15 or more credit hours through another American college or university.
  • Those who have successfully completed of level 402 training from the English Language Institute (ELI) of Missouri State University may be admitted with a letter of recommendation from the ELI Director’s office. Check for details about ELI.
  • Students attending other English Language Institutes may be eligible but must submit transcripts and a recommendation letter from the language institute director indicating a high intermediate level in English.
  • Students who have graduated from a U.S. high school on a J-1 visa do not need to take the TOEFL for admittance.

I am an F-1 student at a local college. Can I sign up for Summer classes or take a few classes in Fall or Spring semester with OTC while I am at another school?

Yes, you may sign up for up to two classes over the summer and also in the fall and spring semesters. In order to take classes, you need to do the following:

  1. Complete the regular OTC Admissions Application.
  2. Provide the IPO a copy of your current I-20 and your student visa, showing your current status with your college.
  3. Provide IPO a letter from current school stating you are in good academic standing.
  4. Send the IPO official transcripts from current college, indicating a cumulative GPA of 2.25
  5. Know that you may only register for two courses each semester with OTC and only one online course per semester for both schools.

I am an F-1 student at MSU/Drury, or another college. Can I transfer to OTC for an upcoming semester?

Yes you may, provided you meet our international student requirements.

  1. First, fill out an international student application (online or paper version).
  2. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher and will need to have a copy of your transcripts sent directly to OTC from your former institution.
  3. You must be currently “in-status” at an institution of higher learning. Request that the institution send a current I-20 and a copy of your visa for documentation.
  4. Ask the international office at your current institution to fill out our transfer form found on the prospective students page.
  5. You will need to pay your first semester of tuition, fees and medical insurance in advance.

Do you have dormitories?

No, but there is affordable housing in Springfield. We have included links to house-rental and apartment-finding agencies at the bottom of the prospective students page.