OTC’s Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a free college-prep program designed to help you refresh your academic skills and give you the confidence you need to successfully complete your choice of college degrees. VUB is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
VUB at OTC is completely free for qualified veterans. More than 1,880 veterans have graduated from colleges all over the country with the help of VUB programs. Participants may enter and leave this voluntary program at any time and there are no financial commitments or charges.
VUB at OTC can help you with:
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills and other subjects necessary for success
- Tutoring services
- Career counseling
- Academic advising
- Information and guidance on the full range of federal student financial aid programs and Veterans’ benefits
- Information and guidance on postsecondary education opportunities including visits to nearby colleges and universities
- Completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Preparing for college entrance exams
To be eligible for VUB, you must:
- Be a U.S. Military veteran with at least 181 days of active duty service and a better than dishonorable discharge
- Have a qualifying income level (based on family income and number of dependents) or be a first-generation college student (neither parent earned a 4-year degree)
- Demonstrate academic need