skip to Main Content

Hardship Withdrawal

OTC may grant a Hardship Withdrawal to a student who experiences non-academic emergencies which interfere or prevent the completion of coursework. This option is only available if the student is unable to resolve their problem through traditional withdrawal methods. Typically, hardships (non-academic emergencies) tend to fall into one of three categories. These categories are usually medical, personal and financial. OTC does not grant hardship withdrawals unless there is a compelling reason for such requests.

The hardship withdrawal process is not the appropriate venue to resolve or petition academic matters. Students must address such concerns to the respective department. In addition, the hardship withdrawal process is not an alternative means to drop classes after the published drop date to remove unwanted grades or preclude resulting academic/financial aid actions. These actions may be warnings, probation or exclusion etc.

The following conditions apply to Hardship Withdrawal:

  1. Students are not eligible for Hardship Withdrawals in any course in which they completed the course requirements. This would apply to classes in which they took the final exam or submitted the final project.
  2. Students must apply no more than four weeks into the following semester including the summer term. This applies whether or not the student enrolls in the next semester.
  3. OTC will only approve a hardship withdrawal for one semester and will not consider subsequent applications.

To apply for a Hardship Withdrawal, the student must submit the following to the Office of the Registrar:

  1. A completed Hardship Withdrawal Application.
  2. A written personal statement of hardship. The written personal statement of hardship should explain to the Academic Review Committee how and/or why the non-academic emergency impacted studies. It is essential that the student gives accurate details about the circumstances surrounding the hardship. For instance, students should provide date(s) of the emergency. They should also give an account of how the situation specifically prevented the completion of coursework.
  3. Required supporting documentation:


Type-written correspondence on office letterhead from a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist or any licensed healthcare professional should be submitted as part of the documentation. The letter should include the dates the student was under the doctor’s care, a statement of how the illness/condition interfered with the completion of coursework and the name-title-phone number of the office representative who can verify the authenticity of the letter. Notes on prescription pads, appointment slips and/or medical consultation forms are not acceptable in lieu of a doctor’s letter.


All family emergencies require official and/or notarized forms, documents or correspondence from a state agency, governmental entity or reputable business. For example, death of a close family relative requires a death certificate and/or obituary with the name/date of the publication.


Financial emergencies require the student’s employer or supervisor to document the mandatory change(s), the date of the change(s) and the organizational representative who can verify the circumstances of the job change(s). OTC prefers documentation to come from a human resource professional.

The Dean of Students will review and rule on all applications for Hardship Withdrawal.


Last Reviewed: 01/26/2018

Back To Top