Academic Fresh Start
Students returning to OTC after an absence of 3 years or longer, with a cumulative OTC GPA of less than 2.0, may apply for Academic Fresh Start in order to recover from a deficient GPA. OTC limits this opportunity to those cases in which the student’s prior record does not reflect his/her current maturity with respect to motivation, attitude and ability.
- Academic Fresh Start will apply only to OTC coursework. OTC will not apply it to transfer credits.
- Academic Fresh Start will apply to all OTC coursework attempted prior to the three-year absence. Once applied, you cannot use this coursework to meet academic requirements (graduation, certification, prerequisites etc.)
- Coursework completed prior to the three-year absence will remain on the student’s transcript but OTC will not calculate it into the student’s OTC cumulative GPA.
In order to be eligible for Academic Fresh Start, students must meet the following conditions.
- OTC grants Academic Fresh Start only once. Once applied, it cannot be undone and students cannot apply again.
- A student must not have been enrolled in coursework at OTC, excluding Continuing Education courses, for a period of at least three consecutive years. They must also have an OTC cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 prior to returning.
- Prior to applying for this, the student must re-enroll at OTC and complete 15 credit hours (excluding pass/fail or audited courses) with a GPA of 2.50 or higher.
Students seeking Academic Fresh Start must complete the following steps:
- Meet with an Academic Advisor prior to submitting the Application for Fresh Start form and get an advisor recommendation.
- Submit the following documentation to the Office of the Registrar:
Completed form along with a written request that includes the following:
- An explanation regarding how your motivation, attitude and ability have changed since returning to OTC.
- An explanation of how previous grades are negatively affecting future educational goals
The Office of the Registrar will then verify eligibility for Academic Fresh Start and notify the student of the results of that review.