Student Advising and Registration (STAR)
OTC requires that all new students attend the classroom style seminar, STAR. We strongly recommend students transferring to OTC to attend as well.
You will learn:
- What program of studies OTC offers
- What classes are needed for your program of study and the order to take them in
- How to access resources for self-placement
- How to create your education plan
- How to schedule and register for your classes
- How to set-up payment for your classes
You will also have an opportunity to get your picture taken for your OTC SmartCard at the OTC Bookstore following the seminar.
What should I do to prepare for my STAR seminar?
Complete the Pre-STAR Assignment, which consists of five important questions you should consider before attending your STAR seminar.
What if I am undecided on a college major or unsure of a career path?
When you arrive at your STAR seminar, an advisor will ask you which program of study you will pursue at OTC. If you are an undecided student, you should complete an online career assessment before scheduling your STAR seminar.
What if I'm a transfer student or high school student taking dual credit classes and my final grades are not posted? Do I still have to provide an official college transcript with "in progress" grades in order to register for STAR?
“In Progress” Transcripts
Transfer students may register for classes without all official transcripts on file their first semester at OTC. However, OTC must receive all official transcripts prior to registering for a 2nd semester classes.
Once your former institution posts final grades, you will submit the updated official college transcript(s) for final evaluation by the Office of the Registrar.
Do I have to schedule an appointment for my STAR seminar?
Yes. You must schedule appointments in advance.
When can I schedule my STAR seminar?
When to Schedule
You can schedule your STAR seminar after you complete the following admission steps:
- You have submitted an admission application to OTC.
- You have completed orientation.
- You have completed guided self-placement.
- We suggest that you send all official college transcripts to us beforehand. However, transcripts are not mandatory.
How do I schedule my STAR seminar?
How to Schedule
Springfield Campus: 417-447-6944
Veteran Students (Springfield Campus Only): 417-447-7840
Richwood Valley Campus: 417-447-7727
Table Rock Campus: 417-447-8920
Where will my STAR seminar take place?
Where are the Seminars
OTC holds STAR seminars computer classrooms. After you schedule your appointment, you will receive an email confirmation with a campus map indicating the room location.
Where can I park on campus?
Where to Park
Parking is open at OTC. Therefore, you are welcome to park in any of our lots.
Should I arrive early to my STAR seminar for check-in?
Yes. We ask that you arrive 15 minutes before the start of your STAR seminar to get checked in. Please allow extra time for parking and to locate the computer classroom. Your STAR seminar will begin promptly. Advisors will ask latecomers to reschedule.
What should I bring to my STAR seminar?
What to Bring
Bring your photo ID (driver’s license, etc), self-placement results and MyOTC login information. We’ll provide everything else.
How long will my STAR seminar last?
How long is STAR?
STAR seminars last approximately two hours and 30 minutes.
During the summer registration season, most Springfield STAR Seminars are extended to four hours and 30 minutes. These sessions include a group presentation for students and parents/supporters, plus a campus tour.
Can my friends and family accompany me to my STAR seminar?
Can I bring someone?
During the summer registration season, many Springfield STAR seminars provide an opportunity for parents/supporters to attend with students. These sessions are four hours and 30 minutes.
Other STAR seminars, which are two hours and 30 minutes, have limited seating for students only. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
What are other students saying about their STAR experiences?
- “Today’s session was a great way to secure myself in the environment. Coming to OTC today made me feel less insecure. The session made me more confident in my choice to attend OTC. The advisors were all nice, friendly and helpful. I look forward to attending OTC in the upcoming fall.”
- “Anytime I had a question, I never felt like I was interrupting. I didn’t feel like any question was stupid. They were very friendly and helpful.”
- “As a former student, I honestly didn’t understand everything provided in AccessOTC. So, the seminar helped open resources to me this time around.”
- “I didn’t realize going to college was this in depth to get started. I would have been really lost if it wasn’t for the STAR session.”
- “In my opinion, the whole session was very very helpful. The presenters were extremely clear about how to navigate MyOTC. I feel confident that now I have a solid grasp of how OTC works and I am excited about the experience.”
Questions? Feel free to contact us at 417-447-6944 for Springfield, 417-447-7727 for Richwood Valley or 417-447-8920 for Table Rock.