All degree seeking students have an assigned advisor. It is important to contact your assigned advisor each semester before registering for classes.
Advising Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Accept responsibility for academic performance and decisions.
- Clarify personal values and goals.
- Participate proactively in the decision-making process.
- Communicate with assigned advisor on a regular basis.
- Prepare a list of questions and concerns before each advising meeting.
- Follow through on suggested actions, resources and/or referrals.
- Maintain a personal record of academic progress.
- Understand college programs, policies and procedures and deadlines.
- Support student academic success by providing accurate and timely information and guidance.
- Communicate the college’s curriculum, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Assist students with creating an educational plan that aligns with their academic interests and abilities.
- Listen responsively and provide encouragement.
- Provide information and strategies for using college resources and services.
- Be accessible to advise students in person, by telephone and/or through OTC email during posted office hours.
Contacting Your Assigned Advisor
- Log into your MyOTC account
- Select the ‘Student Planning’ button
- Select the ‘Student Planning’ drop down menu
- Select the ‘View My Advisor’ option
- To email your advisor, select the advisor’s name under ‘My Advisors’
If you wish to change your assigned advisor, complete the ‘Change Your Academic Advisor‘ form.
Faculty Advisors are unavailable when classes are not in session. During these times, students will be seen on walk-in basis by the professional Academic Advisors in Student Services.