About Distance Advising
Distance Advising is the online alternative to Student Advising and Registration (STAR) and is required for students who have never attended college. It is also strongly recommended for students transferring to OTC. Distance Advising is delivered through OTC’s online course system, Canvas.
Distance Advising is self-paced and students are required to work through seven steps and have their course plans reviewed by an Academic Advisor before being released to register for their first semester at OTC.
During Distance Advising you will learn:
- What programs of study OTC offers
- What courses are needed for your program of study and the order to take them
- How to create your education plan
- How to plan and register for courses
- How to access your Financial Aid Checklist
- How to set-up the My Payment Plan to lock-in your registration
Enroll in Distance Advising
If you want to participate in Distance Advising, please click on the button below:
Distance Advising FAQs
How do I enroll in Distance Advising?
There are two ways you can enroll in Distance Advising:
- Self-Enrollment: to self-enroll in the Distance Advising course, click the button above.
- Email: email email@example.com and request to be added to the Distance Advising course.
What if I want to participate in STAR instead?
If you want to complete the in-person version of STAR please visit the STAR webpage to learn more: https://students.otc.edu/advising/star/
Can I complete Distance Advising on my smartphone?
While technically, yes, you can complete Distance Advising on your smartphone we strongly recommend completing Distance Advising on either a laptop or desktop computer.
Do I need to use a particular web browser to complete Distance Advising?
Yes. You must use Google Chrome or Firefox to access Canvas and the Distance Advising course.
How long does it take to complete Distance Advising?
Most students are able to complete Distance Advising in 2-3 hours. However, since Distance Advising is untimed and completed at your own pace, the amount of time needed varies from person to person.
What if I need help with Distance Advising?
If you have a question or need assistance while working through the Distance Advising course, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 417-447-6907.