skip to Main Content

What is Career Exploration?

Career exploration is an ongoing collaboration between an individual and career advisor. Together, they explore the individual’s strengths, interests, needs, and goals and work to create an action plan to turn these things into reality.

During career exploration, an advisor will help you:

• Contemplate your strengths, interests, values, and goals
  • Navigate career assessment results
  • Access resources to assist in researching and evaluating career options
  • Developing a comprehensive career action plan

Career exploration is particularly helpful for students who are undecided about their academic program or future career.

Schedule Your Career Exploration Appointment

Each student is unique, so career exploration is a very individualized process. To maximize your personalized experience, you will first schedule a 15 minute intake appointment. During this appointment, we will help determine your specific career exploration needs. At the end of the intake appointment, the advisor will schedule your 1 hour career exploration appointment, which can be done on the Springfield Campus or via Zoom.

Career Exploration FAQ

How is career exploration different from academic advising?

During a career exploration appointment, you and your advisor will focus on exploring your strengths, values, interests, and personal employment needs. During career exploration, you and your advisor might:

• Discuss your career assessment results
  • Review resources that assist you in researching and evaluating career options
  • Develop a career action plan

During an academic advising appointment, you and your advisor will focus on your academic goals. During academic advising, you and your advisor might:

• Discuss academic programs that will best prepare you for your educational and career goals
  • Review requirements for completing your academic program
  • Create a course plan
  • Discuss concerns impacting your academic success
  • Make plans for utilizing academic and support resources

If you would like to schedule an academic advising appointment, please visit the Connect with Academic Advising website.

How do I prepare for my career exploration appointment?

When you schedule your career exploration appointment, you will be asked to complete the FOCUS 2 career assessment. This 45-minute, computerized career assessment will allow you and your advisor to engage in a conversation about your strengths, interests, and goals. In addition to completing this assessment, we suggest creating a list of questions or topics you would like discuss with your advisor. Questions to consider before your career exploration appointment might include:

• What am I naturally good at?
  • What are my interests and hobbies?
  • What are my long-term career goals?
  • What occupations interest me?
  • What career research have I already done? What research do I need to continue to do?
  • What are obstacles I will need to address to achieve my career goals?
  • What resources do I need to achieve my my career goals?

Don’t have answers to these questions? That’s okay! You and your advisor will engage in a conversation to assist you in further defining you goals.

What is FOCUS 2?

FOCUS 2 is a self-guided career and education planning system designed to guide you through the steps of the career planning process. You can use FOCUS 2 at any stage of your education and career planning. Once your FOCUS 2 assessment is complete, your results are aligned with occupational options, educational paths, and training programs.

How do I login to FOCUS 2?

New users of FOCUS 2 will need to create an account before getting started. Please follow the steps below to create your account:

1. Visit FOCUS 2 Account Creation
  2. Enter eagles into the your access code field
  3. Complete all required fields
  4. Write down your username and password and store in a secure place

Returning users will be able to access their account through the FOCUS 2 login.

How do I complete my FOCUS 2 assessment?

Once you have created your FOCUS 2 account, you will be prompted to complete several short assessments. It will take around 45 minutes to complete FOCUS 2. Be sure to complete each of the following assessments:

• My Career Planning Involvement
  • My Academic Strengths
  • Am I Career Ready?
  • Work Interest Assessment
  • Personality Assessment
  • Leisure Assessment
  • Values Assessment
  • Skills Assessment

If you would like step-by-step instructions, please review this tutorial.

Career Exploration Resources

FOCUS 2

FOCUS 2 is a computerized career and education planning system will guide you through an assessment of your work, personality, skills, values and leisure interests. Once completed, the results are aligned with occupational options, educational paths, and training programs.

Career Coach

Career Coach allows you complete a career assessment to learn about yourself and your career interests. Career Coach also allows you to browse careers as well as data on wages, employment opportunities, and training requirements.

What can I do with this Major?

Discover job titles you can expect after graduating from various degree programs. You can also review typical employers for professionals with your educational background.

OTC Graduate Survey Report

Review survey information from OTC’s Technical Education and Health Science graduates.

Back To Top