Advising for Current Students
All currently enrolled students are assigned to a specific academic advisor, which is typically a faculty member in the student’s program of study. It is important to contact your assigned advisor each semester before registering for classes.
- Accept responsibility for academic performance and decisions.
- Clarify personal values and goals.
- Participate proactively in the decision-making process.
- Communicate with assigned advisor on a regular basis.
- Prepare a list of questions and concerns before each advising meeting.
- Follow through on suggested actions, resources, and/or referrals.
- Maintain a personal record of academic progress.
- Understand college programs, policies and procedures and deadlines.
- Provide guidance, encouragement, and referrals to resources to empower students to meet their own goals.
- Listen carefully.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Provide strategies and options.
- Monitor students’ progress.
- Discuss the relationship between academic preparation and the work world.
- Be accessible by appointment, as needed.
- Log into your MyOTC account.
- Click on the ‘Access OTC’ tab.
- To view your faculty advisor’s contact information, click on the ‘My Profile/Advisor’ link.
- To email your faculty advisor, click on the ‘Email My Advisor’ link.
If you wish to change your faculty advisor, complete the Change of Program form.
Faculty advisors are unavailable when fall and spring classes are not in session. Currently enrolled students will be seen by the professional academic advisors in Student Services during these times on a walk-in basis.