Federal Work Study Program
The FWS program provides part-time jobs for students who have demonstrated “need,” according to the results from their FAFSA. The program allows students to earn money to help pay their education expenses. Funding for the FWS program is limited, and positions are filled through an interview process. Students are encouraged to apply early if they are interested in this program.
- Complete the FAFSA for the academic year you wish to be considered.
- Students must be enrolled to be eligible for work.
- Submit a request to see if you are eligible and a Work-Study Assignment Form by clicking here.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT:
- Once you submit your request, your actual eligibility will be determined based of your FAFSA results.
- An assignment form will only be issued if you are eligible for the work-study funds.
- The maximum hours per week will be either 10 or 15 hours depending on your eligibility.
- You will be notified by your OTC webmail when your work study assignment form is ready. If you are not eligible, your email will provide an explanation.
Students selected for verification from the (FAFSA) will need to request another form for eligibility once verification is complete.
- Once you have your work-study assignment form you may begin the employment process.
- Students must have a work-study assignment form before requesting an interview.
- View positions online at the link below.
- Contact the supervisor to request an interview.
- Take to the interview a copy of your class schedule and previous work history.
- Take your assignment form to your interview; this lets the supervisor know you are eligible for work-study.
Once you are hired, you must:
IMPORTANT: Do not begin work until you have been notified by your OTC webmail account by the Financial Aid Office that you have been approved to begin work.
- Both you and your supervisor sign the assignment form as indicated.
- Go to Human Resources:
- Complete direct deposit and employment forms with Human Resources.
- Complete an OTC application for employment.
- Authorize a background/consumer report.
- Wait for an email from Financial Aid letting you know you may begin work.
Payment for work performed:
- Students earn the current prevailing minimum wage.
- Pay day is on the 15th of each month; if the 15th falls on a Saturday, the pay date will be Friday; if the 15th falls on a Sunday, the pay date will be Monday.
- You are paid by direct deposit into a checking or savings account.
- Time sheets begin on the 1st work day of the month and end on the last work day of the month.
- Work study time sheets must be turned in at Student Services on the first work day of the month.
- Work study time sheets are located: ww2.otc.edu/finance, please click the link.