How do I update my address and direct deposit information?

If you are currently receiving benefits or have received benefits in the last year, the WAVE online system is the simplest way to update your address and Direct Deposit information. This only applies to Montgomey GI Bill or REAP recipients. For VEAP, and Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients you must contact us via telephone.

To update your Direct Deposit or address online:

1. Click here to access the WAVE web site. Click the tab that says “log in instructions” at the top of the page, and follow the instructions to log on to WAVE.

2. On the main menu page once you have logged in, click the link to the left that says “Direct Deposit Enrollment Form” or “Change of Address” depending on what you need to do. Both procedures can be completed online.

3.If you don’t have access to WAVE, these requests must be submitted via telephone.

To update your Direct Deposit or Address by phone:

You can contact us by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).