Getting a Social Security Number

Here you’ll find the procedure for getting a Social Security Card.

How do I apply for a social security card?

If you are you a current international F-1 student at Ozarks Technical Community College and desire employment, please read the following information carefully. Your school may ask you for your Social Security number. Some colleges and schools use social security numbers as student identification numbers. Consequently, if you do not have a social security number, the college or school should be able to give you another identification number.

The government generally assigns social security numbers to people who are authorized to work in the United States. Individuals use social security to report their wages to the government. They also determine an individual’s eligibility for social security benefits. Social security will not assign you a number just to enroll in a college or school.

The application for a social security card (SS-5) can be used by anyone who has never been issued a card, needs a replacement card or has changed his or her name. THIS SERVICE IS FREE. However, students will now have to have the assurance of a job in order to apply for a SS number.  Incoming international students cannot make application unless they secure on-campus employment.

REMEMBER, the social security card is only necessary for getting a job. For other purposes such as getting a driver’s license, bank account or a cell phone, your passport and I-20 are valid documents you can use.

How do I apply for on campus work?

If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from your designated school official that:

  1. Identifies you
  2. Confirms your current school status
  3. Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing
  4. We also need to see evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the employment letter. This letter must describe:
    • The job you will preform
    • Your employment start date
    • The number of hours you are, or will be, working
    • Your supervisor’s name and telephone number

If you are an F-1 student authorized to work in curricular practical training (CPT), you must provide us your Form I-20 with the employment page (page 3) completed and signed by your school’s designated official.

If you are an F-1 or M-1 student and have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD Form I-766 or I-688B) from DHS, you must present it.

What is the process for getting a social security number?

  2. Get a letter from your employer. You must supply this letter must  on company letter-head stationery with an original signature and include the Employer Identification Number.
  3. Get a letter from the International Student Office verifying your F-1 status.
  4. You will need to take ALL of the following items to the SSA office:
    • Letter from on-campus employer (Steps 1 and 2)
    • Letter from ISO (Step 3)
    • Application form from SSA (click here to read the instructions to download the application)
    • I-94 card
    • I-20 (for F-1 students)
    • Valid passport
    • Visa and one photo ID that is at least one year old (could be passport)
    • DO NOT FORGET TO ASK FOR A RECEIPT from the Social Security Administration in order to prove to your employer that you have applied for a social security.
  5. Fill out the SS application form in advance. It will save you time and stress when you visit with the SSA representative. Remember, if you do not have your immigration documents, the application, the employer’s letter AND the ISS form letter, SSA will not process you application.

Springfield, Missouri Social Security Administration Office location:
1570 West Battlefield, Springfield, MO 65807 #(417) 866-7210