As an F-1 or M-1 student, you were admitted to the United States to work toward a specific educational or professional objective. In order to change your objective, you must comply with the standard procedures in order to remain in status.
You will need a new I-20 form, and it will need to reflect any of the following changes:
- Degree Program (school/department)
- Degree Level (Associates)
- Funding Source and Amount
Note: if by changing majors you will need more time to complete the program, you will need to follow the requirements for program extension.
How to change your degree program:
- Follow OTC departmental requirements for changing your field of study. You will need to visit with an academic advisor to fill out necessary forms and discuss a new graduation plan.
- Schedule an appointment with an IPO advisor. When you go to your appointment, bring with you the following documents:
- Proof of Change of Degree Program
- Current Form
- I-20 Passport
- I-94 card
The IPO advisor will print you a new Form I-20 that reflects the changes. You should use the new Form I-20 for all purposes such as travel.