INSTRUCTIONS FOR SELF-SCHEDULING VIA DISTANCE COUNSELING WITH A SPRINGFIELD COUNSELOR
If you desire, you can self-schedule a distance counseling appointment with a Springfield Counselor by clicking on link provided in this message.
WHAT IS TELE-MENTAL HEALTH
Tele-mental health refers to counseling sessions that occur via phone or videoconference using a variety of technologies. TMH is offered to improve access to counseling services to OTC students during major crises, such as COVID-19. However, the results of TMH cannot be guaranteed or assured. You are not required to use TMH and have the right to request other service options or withdraw this consent at any time without affecting your right to future care or treatment at Ozarks Technical Community College. Students can utilize Doxy.Me on their personal devices if:
- There is a Wi-Fi or Ethernet internet connection (LTE or 4G will not work) and the device has a working web cam and microphone
- The device is using a Chrome, Firefox, or Safari internet browser
- Students are welcome to use OTC Wi-Fi in any OTC Springfield campus parking lot to utilize Doxy.Me
- If you choose Doxy.Me, and have indicated this in your electronic appointment as your preferred method of counseling the following will happen:
- The Counselor that you have scheduled with will send you your personal Doxy.Me link when your appointment is scheduled to begin. You will then go to the patient check in at your appointment time: https://doxy.me/patients#show-check-in and enter your Doxy.Me link
- Click on the green “Check In” button
- Your OTC Mental Health Counselor will see that you have checked in, and will begin the video call
- If the Doxy.Me session is not successful, your Mental Health Counselor will attempt to contact you on your personal cell phone to complete the appointment via telephone call.
CONFIDENTIALITY/ PRIVACY AND SECURITY
Please be aware that while electronic communications have many benefits, they are not as secure as other means of communication. We cannot guarantee the confidentiality or security of electronic transmissions via the Internet or your phone due to the potential use of un-secure computers and links. Also, email is not a confidential method of communication, and your counselor may not access or respond to emails quickly. If you choose to contact your counselor by email, do not include private information, and do not expect a prompt response. If you need to reach your counselor between sessions, you may call the Counseling Services at 1-417-447-6974 during business hours. It is also possible that data may be lost or intercepted by unauthorized parties during such transmission.
Should there be technical problems with video conferencing, the most reliable backup plan is contact by phone. Make sure that OTC’s Counseling Services Department has a correct phone number at which you can be reached, and have your phone with you at session times. If you are unable to connect, or get disconnected, please try to connect again and if problems continue call your counselor that you are working with.
PLEASE NOTE/INFORMED CONSENT: By scheduling your appointment using this platform or phone counseling your counselor will assume the following: That you hereby consent to engage in counseling sessions. You understand that “Doxy.Me telemedicine” includes the practice of therapy/consultation using interactive audio, video, or data communications. You understand that Doxy.me telemedicine also involves the communication of your medical/mental information, both orally and visually, to the OTC counselor whom you are working with. You understand that you have the following rights with respect to electronic counseling: (1) You have the right to withhold or withdraw consent at any time without affecting your right to future care or treatment. (2) You understand that the information disclosed during the course of your therapy is generally confidential. Counseling Services is required to keep all information concerning the reasons you are seeking counseling private and confidential. Information would only be released to those outside of OTC’s Counseling Services if: 1) you explicitly authorize this in writing; 2) there is substantial or immediate danger of physical harm to yourself or others; 3) the records are court-ordered by a judge; 4) you file a lawsuit or claim against a counselor (for purposes of defending the claim); or, 5) you file a Workman’s Compensation claim.
There are occasions when outside crises/campus emergencies occur, which will require that we interrupt or reschedule your appointment. Although we seek to prevent rescheduling counseling appointments and also strive for you to meet with the same counselor for each appointment, we have limited resources and we thank you for your patience and understanding in the event these situations arise.
You have the right to report any complaint about our services to the Dean of Students, Joyce Bateman, 417-447-6973 and/or to the Missouri licensing board at the following address: Committee for Professional Counselors, P.O. Box 1335, Jefferson City, MO 65102-1335. Telephone: 573.751.0293. TTY: 800.735.2966. Voice Relay: 800.735.2466.
You have read and understand the information provided above and the risks involved with electronic breach of confidentiality via Doxy.Me and phone. You will discuss any concerns about breach of confidentiality with your counselor. By proceeding to schedule using self-scheduling you are consenting to electronic counseling via Doxy.me or phone.
To schedule your own appointment please click on the following link:
- Select your preferred scheduling date on the calendar.
- Next, click on the dropdown box under “Select Staff” and you can select “Anyone” or a specific “Counselor”. Once selected, you can view available appointment times and click on your preferred appointment time.
- Add your name, email address, phone number, and address.
- In the box titled “Notes” please indicate if you’d prefer to use Doxy.Me or phone. Also, please list “symptoms” you are experiencing (reason for scheduling the appointment)
- To finalize your appointment click on the box next to “Please Read” and also click on the box next to the notification of rates that may apply if you choose to receive a confirmation text.
- Lastly, click on “Book”. You will receive a confirmation message stating that your appointment has been confirmed.
- PLEASE READ! You may encounter an error message when submitting that states that your “booking could not be placed at this time”. This is a known issue where your booking actually DOES get placed and the error message you receive is actually false. Counseling Services will follow up with you to confirm your appointment. You can also check your email – if you receive a confirmation email about your booking, it has DEFINITELY been placed for you.
If you have experienced suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming others within the past 2 weeks and need assistance sooner than your appointment time or after business hours please call these numbers.
National Suicide Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) Is answered 24 hours a day
State of Missouri Crisis Hotline for Hearing Impaired: 1-888-380-3328 (TTY)
Trevor Hotline for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning: 1-866-488-7386
Veterans Crisis Line: call 1-800-273-8255 and press 1. You can also text to 838255.
Burrell Behavioral Health: 417-761-5555
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224
National Trafficking Hotline: 1-888-373-7888
Help-Line for Self-Injury: 1-800-366-8288
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741