[vcex_heading text=”What can I do with this major?”]
- Cost Analysis
- Foreign Trade Analysis
- Public Administration
- Transportation Management
- Urban Planning
- Government departments involved in agriculture, business, finance, labor, transportation, urban economics, and international trade including: USDA, Department of Commerce, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the United Nations, and the General Accounting Office
- Become active in student government.
- Complete an internship in a government agency.
- Earn a graduate degree in economics, statistics, public administration, or related field for promotion and advancement.
- Become familiar with government hiring practices.
- Develop excellent computer, analytical, and quantitative skills.
Economic Market Research
- Research Analysis
- Market research firms
- Consumer goods manufacturing firms
- Business firms
- Consulting firms
- Supplement curriculum with courses in business, political science, research design, survey design, statistics, and computer science.
- Earn a graduate degree to obtain advanced research and consulting positions.
- Obtain experience in business research.
- Become a student member in related professional associations.
- Get involved in student or community organizations to develop leadership skills.
Banking and Finance
- Credit Lending
- Commercial banks
- Regional banks
- Savings and loan associations
- National and regional brokerage firms
- Discount brokerage houses
- Develop a solid background in business including finance, marketing, and accounting.
- Gain experience through part-time, summer, or internship positions in financial service firms.
- Develop strong interpersonal and communication skills in order to work well with a diverse clientele.
- Become the financial officer or treasurer of a campus organization.
- Get involved with an investments club.
- Earn an MBA for positions in investment banking.
- Insurance firms
- Develop strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Earn a business minor.
- Gain sales experience.
- Participate in campus organizations.
- Hospital Management
- Healthcare Analysis
- Private (LLC) corporations
- US Department of Health
- Health Maintenance Organizations
- Earn a master’s degree in public health or hospital administration.
- Gain experience in healthcare through internships.
Other Business Areas
- Buying and Purchasing
- Human Resources
- Department, grocery, drug, specialty, and variety store chains
- Hotels, resorts, and tourism councils
- Large corporations
- Gain related business experience through internships or jobs.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and flexibility.
- Secure leadership positions in campus organizations.
- Earn a business minor.
- Obtain sales experience.
- Colleges and universities
- Secondary public and private schools
- Earn a Ph.D to teach in post-secondary institutions.
- Gain research experience by assisting a professor.
- Obtain certification for public school positions.
- Get experience working with young people.
- Develop strong public speaking skills.
General Information and Strategies
- Choose a career focus and structure curricular and extra-curricular activities to achieve goals.
- Obtain volunteer, part-time, summer, or internship experience to enhance career path. For example, complete a finance-related internship if interested in a career in banking.
- Develop an excellent background in research, statistics, and computers.
- Earn a graduate degree in economics, business, or other related fields for increased marketability.
- Do informational interviewing with professionals to learn more about fields of interest.